Friday, October 14, 2011

Musings of October 3, 2011


Hi everyone, mom, dad, Brian, Jocie, Chico, punk (you don't even get your name included; you never write me something meaningful; and you get mentioned after the dog; yeah, that's right), and everyone else that is reading this letter,

Hi.

So this week was a really rough week for us. Elder Torres left (he had to leave early to Colombia because his visa ran out) and so we had Elder Vazquez in our companionship. I love Elder Vazquez. But that's beside the point. Elder Hawke and I are already working two large areas, and we also had to work Elder Vazquez' area because Elder Vazquez's companion doesn't come 'til later today. So, yeah, it was difficult working three areas.

Elizabeth!!! I love Elizabeth. Well, she's getting baptized this Sunday. She would have gotten baptized yesterday, but she drank coffee (bad teaching on our part; she thought it was okay as long as it was more milk than coffee). But she committed to not drinking coffee at all, so now we're back on track.

As for our other investigators... Well, they're not doing so good. Heliot has somewhat dropped us because he feels like we are pushing him too much. Which is somewhat true. I kinda felt like we were asking stuff of him that made him feel too uncomfortable. With him we had to take it slow, and we got a little impatient with him. So we're working on that. We weren't able to visit with Eduardo this week because of our increased work load. And I don't know if I've told you about Luz. Well, Luz was reading a lot in the Book of Mormon and now she isn't.

And we are having a lot of trouble finding new investigators. Most of our new investigators come from former investigators and potentials that have been recorded over the years. We can't really go knocking at apartment complexes. But this week, we have two focuses: 1) Find new investigators. 2) Get to know the ward more so that they feel comfortable with giving us referrals.

I loved general conference. First time that I watched all the conference talks attentively... Normally, I miss one or I fall asleep through one. It was hard with the Sunday sessions because I had to watch those in Spanish and couldn't get all of it. But I loved it! I especially loved Richard G. Scott's talk on reading the scriptures, Pres. Eyring's priesthood talk about pushing yourself beyond your limits in the service of the Lord (he spoke with more boldness that was not the usual Pres. Eyring style), and Ian S. Arden's talk about being a master manager of time. They were all really great talks. I can't wait for the conference edition of the Ensign so I can tear it apart and re-read everything.

As for the priesthood session of conference. They called us out. They really called us out. They got up in our faces. And it's funny how it can make you feel really bad but at the same time make you want to do soooo much better. I loved it. Well, at the time I was like down on myself because I felt like it was "great, I'm doing my best and it's not good enough." But then as you get to thinking about it, they just want you to push yourself a little bit more. So yeah, I loved it.

Journey... Darn, wish I had been able to go to the concert.

So I have been teaching a guy with Elder Vazquez (since he doesn't have a companion) named Orlando. He has studied theology and is very knowledgable in all major religious movements since the dawn of time. He used to be a Seventh-Day Adventist but didn't like it because of the economic stratification within the church. We were teaching him and he said: "I don't know much about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but let me tell you what little I know." He went on to explain the entire Joseph Smith story, complete with exact dates and vivid descriptions, where the church started and what day, the Book of Mormon, the pioneers, Kirtland, Missouri, everything. Nothing he said was wrong, as far as I could tell. He said he really liked the church because it did not have that economic stratification that other churches have and that it was "pretty close" to the kind of church that Jesus Christ had when he was on the earth. The only thing he had questions about was the priesthood (which later on in the week, he called us and said he found his answer in the little booklet we gave him to read), and sabbath day observance. Yesterday we taught him again, and he said: "You know, I hope I am progressing enough and I know enough to be baptized." Uh, yeah, you know more than the eternal investigator we have been teaching for a year. He really has the desire to find out more, to know that this is the true church.

To Cynthia Amaya (hopefully, mom or dad, you're putting this on facebook)- Yeah, uh, I am mad at you. End of story :p

Welllllllllllll, ummmmm, mom can you send me some developed (is that what they call it now? since everything is digital and only film is developed) photos of the family, the dog... Yes, the dog!!! A photo of El Paso, and any other pictures that are worth showing to like my investigators and my fellow missionaries. I would love, say, 20 pictures, but whatever floats your boat.

Are you rocking your soul in the bosom of Abraham? If you are, congratulations. If you aren't, please do. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a song. We have a CD of African-American gospel music sung by the Mo-Tab that we love and one is called "Rocking My Soul in the Bosom of Abraham." It has become a favorite of Elders Hawke, Vazquez and I and we love rocking our souls in the bosom of Abraham.

Time to get kicked off this library computer. Send my regards to all.

Con amor,

Elder Nathan Gruenewald

No comments:

Post a Comment