Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Why Am I Serving a Mission?

I was recently called to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the California San Fernando Mission. The San Fernando Mission includes everything from North Hollywood, Santa Clarita, Palmdale, all the way up to Mammoth Lakes.
Serving a mission for my church has been something I have planned on doing since I was a little kid. For the longest time, I have wanted to do this for my church.
I will be giving up two years of my life solely dedicated to service to God. I will be giving up school for two years. I will be giving up job opportunities for two years. I will be giving up girls and dating for two years. Instead of doing these things, I will be teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Why would I give up these things for two years for something like this? I'll be pretty much in the middle of my college education and I might forget stuff after no education for two years. I could be working and getting paid for doing something and making a bit of a living. I could be dating girls every other week and preparing to get married. So why would I give these things up?
The person I have become has been shaped primarily by two things: my family and my church. The LDS church has shaped who I have become. I'm, for the most part, a good person that has the best interests of others in mind. I have become a loving and charitable person, one that strives to do what is best in the sight of God. That is not to say that other religions don't do the same for others. I'm saying that this is how my church has shaped me.
The LDS church has brought me so much happiness in my life. Some would say that my church is far too restrictive, so how could you be happy with that? "You're not allowed to drink a beer with us because of your church? That's so dumb." "Your church doesn't even allow you to have sex before marriage? You're missing out, Nate." My church does not force me to do anything. There is no one telling me I have to be this way. The guidelines are set, and you are free to choose whether you want to follow those guidelines. If you decide not to follow these guidelines, you must suffer the consequences. Sometimes the consequences are immediate, sometimes the consequences don't come until later, and some won't come until the next life after we die. But following these guidelines leaves you free from guilt, sin, and addiction. And instead of leaving me with a feeling of enslavement, rather it leaves me feeling free. Free from guilt. Free from sin. Free from addiction. My church is restrictive. Rather, it is liberating.
Some people will talk about The Book of Mormon and how it is not true, even to the extent of bashing what I believe to be true. My question to them is, have you read it? Have you taken the time to sit down and find out what it is really about? Or have you just been reading what others have said about it? Let's put it this way. Can you find out if a movie is really good simply by reading the reviews? Or would it be better to watch the movie and see for yourself if it is good? The same principle applies to The Book of Mormon. It is better to find out for yourself if the book is true, and not based on other people's opinions. I encourage those of you that have a negative opinion of The Book of Mormon to find out for yourself, rather than listen to the opinions of others. I will be more than happy to let you have a copy of the book if you want; just ask. If you read it and don't think it's true, fine. But I have read it and I know it to be true.
Also, some people think this Joseph Smith guy is a total fraud. Honestly, I can understand where you are coming from. It does seem a little far-fetched that a guy could dig up a set of ancient plates, translate it, and start a church based on a vision of he had where he talked with God the Father and Jesus Christ. I had trouble believing it at first. Now I know that it truly did happen. How do I know? I took the same advice that Joseph Smith took, which he read in the Bible. In James 1:5, it says "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." I asked God. No, I didn't get the same confirmation that Joseph Smith got. I wasn't visited by angels. I wasn't struck in awe about the things that I had learned. Instead, I got a small, quiet answer. It was a peaceful feeling that these things were true.
God has a plan for all of us and He loves all of us. He loves us so much that "he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." It is through Jesus Christ that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father in heaven. I know that God loves me and He loves each and every one of us.
There is so much more I could write about that I want to write about, but it's the week before finals week and I have to study for tests. If you have any questions, you can go to the Mormon website which can give you more information. Or you can just ask me. I'm more than happy to answer your questions.
My friends, God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment