Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Immature vs. Playful

So I realize it has been like three weeks since I've posted something. Please forgive me.
So the past few days I've been thinking about my own "immaturity." It seems like over the past couple of months, I've been acting childish, and to some people I may come off as immature. I don't think I am immature. I think, rather, that I am playful.
For an expert source on what the difference between immature and playful is, allow us to turn to Urban Dictionary (please do not use this as a source in your next 10 page research paper).
Immature: A word utilized to describe someone who exhibits the behavioral patterns of a child. Such people tend to be impulsive; an example of which, is a tendency to use unwanted physical contact on another person, or making statements in complete ignorance and crudeness. Immature people also tend to make narrow associations of certain actions with certain effects, such as the association of biking with falling off.
Now for playful.
Playful: a playful one is one that always likes to have fun, often the center of ones attention.... they like to laugh and make others laugh. a playful one is a very special kind of friend. a playful one may also be a little on the frisky side.
If you were to ask most people that knew me a year or two ago, this does not describe me at all. Before my senior year, I was never very playful or immature except around my very closest friends (basketball teammate's or classmates in my smaller classes like Calculus or English [even though the Subia monster (my English teacher) never allowed me to unleash my full immature potential]). I was always a very composed, quiet, somewhat shy kind of guy. I never really acted out, never did anything that would describe me as immature, at least not very much. E, B, and 'Mando would say otherwise, that I was quite immature, but it was usually only around them. 
By my senior year, I had opened up quite a bit. I was more outgoing, a little more immature about things. Like the time I got kicked out of Chico's Tacos because we danced to "Get Your Head in the Game" from High School Musical. Or quoting Yes, I will admit, my senior year I was immature. I was having fun and making up for the lack of fun I had the previous three years.
By the time I got to college, I went back to my old ways. I was a mature guy that didn't really say much. Back to the shy, quiet kind of person I used to be. 
As college has gone on, I think people see me as an immature person, especially those that did not meet me before I became "immature." And that is not an appropriate characterization of me. 
I am a playful person. I enjoy giving hugs, I enjoy talking to people, I enjoy making people laugh. I would prefer going with a group of people and doing stuff like nothing else matters in life. I'm a very gregarious and often loquacious person. 
I am not immature, however. Immature would mean that in situations where maturity is called for, I do not act mature. Church, I'm a mature person. Competitive basketball, I'm a mature person. School, I'm a mature person (for the most part). Serious conversations with a friend, I'm a mature person. I do try to make these things as light-hearted as possible without being immature. But in the end, when a situation calls for maturity, I act mature.
For those of you that think I am immature, find me during a moment of seriousness, and you will get a serious me. 
Find me during a moment of non-seriousness, you will find a playful me.
My friends, God bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment